Ties that Bind is moving http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php
TIES THAT BIND HAS MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE.
http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TIES THAT BIND HAS MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE.
http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
We Have Moved
Ties that Bind has moved to a new home. Please follow this link: Ties That Bind
Twitter

Astronomy term 2 lesson 3.

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Astronomy term 2 lesson 3. - Page 2 Empty Re: Astronomy term 2 lesson 3.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Ivory ran up the stairs, two at a time hoping she wasn't extremely late. She mentally slapped herself for being late as she entered the classroom, right as the Professor was talking. She grazed the Hogwarts students before eyeing the other Wolfclaw student. Ivory flicked her attention back to the Professor, bowing her head slightly in respect." Hello Professor," She said, letting the her voice travel on its own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:14 pm

Angel smiled brightly at her friends, happy that she could see them again. She predicted it was going to be a normal class where they usually gaze into the sky, jotting down notes.But as soon as one of the Wolfclaw students joined the class, Angel wondered how different the lesson would be. Angel sighed before shooting a smile in B'elena's direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Morgan looked up as several students entered the class. She wasn't surprised to see some Hogwarts students, but was to see a couple WolfClaw students come in. This was certainly going to be an interesting year at Hogwarts! Morgan picked up her silver telescope case and settled herself at one of the low table stations to continue her study of Jupiter and its moons and smiling to herself at remembering her notes from the previous observation sessions she had had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alora Fawley Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Astronomy could be fun... Alora was excited to be attending a new kind of class, well any class at all, at Hogwarts. She finally was going to have a taste of what it was going to be like to go to school here, as she was denied her wish to actually attend school here. Alora did enjoy the stars, but didn't know much about them. She hoped that wasn't going to hinder her in her first class.

As she entered, she was shocked to see so many others. She spotted B'elena and walked over to her. She bowed to the professor before saying, "Good evening, Professor. Please excuse my tardiness." She straightened up and made a small glance around at the others. She didn't have a telescope... Maybe he would have some that she and her fellow WolfClaws could use for their time here. Alora made a note to ask soon.
Alora Fawley
Alora Fawley

House : Emperor

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:50 pm

B'elena nodded at the Professor's first question on if she was a Wolfclaw. She smiled at the professor, and sat down on a cushion. From the Professors descripition, Astronomy might be an interesting class. She noticed another Wolfclaw come in, even if this girl was a Wolfen, B'elena was glad that she wasn't going to be the only Wolfclaw taking classes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:46 am

Chase looked at two other students coming in and he was suprised to see students from Wolfclaw joining Astronomy. Chase nodded and gave the other a smile before he waved his wand where the telescopes came out of the corner and settled itself.

"Ladies, i'm Chase Niberus but you can call me Chase, your telescopes are standing and you can stand by one of them and watch Jupiter and his moons, if you have questions please ask me, i will be walking around." He informed the new students who just came in.

"Miss Prince, would you please come to me and tell me what you found out by the first two lessons." Chase asked his student.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

House : Hufflepuff

Character sheet
Jobs:
Blood Status: Halfblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:18 am

Skyla walks in with a silver telescope close to her chest. She knew she had to bring one due to Luna telling her. She walks up to the teacher and smiles nicely. "Hello sir. I'm Skyla Valkyrie and it's a pleasure to be allowed in your classroom." She smiles again and sits next to Luna, seeing the fresh scar on her cheek. Her eyes narrowed and planned to ask her later. She set up her telescope and set up Luna's seeing her slightly dazed look she recognised as thinking of her memories. She sneakily touches Luna's birthmark causing a more focused look to occur on Luna. "Hiya sis. Talk to me later okay." She whispers, concerned of her younger sister. She looks through the telescope for a quick second until she got out her parchment and started a very detailed drawing of what she sees. She labels everything and then looks at Luna's drawings. She looks closely and walks over to a candle, placing one on top of the other seeing they've moved positions, She makes notes of it and goes back to her telescope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:30 am

Chase smiled at miss Valkyrie. "Another Valkyrie and it is always a pleasure to have new students joining my class miss Vlakyrie." Chase looked around the tower, all the students were busy and he looked proud. He never couldn't imagine so many students joining because Astronomy wasn't a popular subject.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:35 am

Skyla smiles. "Yes. Older sister of Luna and twin of another Wolfclaw student. However I think she may be at the hospital wing for some potions sir. So she may be a wee bit late." She says and the Irish accent she picked up on her holiday laced in her words. She looks at the door for a second, she sees he looks proud and silently wished they add Astronomy at Wolfclaw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:58 am

Chase smiled and nodded. "That is okay, we still have plenty of space to settle down a couple of telescopes." Chase saw how she walked up to her family.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kronos Grimm Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:09 am

Achilles showed up. ''Hello sir..Sorry. Legion had meltdown and tried to strangle Dante....Ur...Then he had a emotional break down. So sorry I am late. Legion is in his room calming down. Dante is in medical...'' He said this in hurried voice. He was breathless where he had ran
Kronos Grimm
Kronos Grimm
Plot Advisor
Plot Advisor

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am

Chase listened to mister Grimm's story, he knew the boy had lost his brother at the beginning of the term and he had seen their younger sister wandering around the courtyard at night when he came here to study the stars in his free time. Chase saw how mister Grimm catched his breath so he waved his wand to get a chair.

"Mister Grimm, sit down please, take deep breaths. It's okay, there are no consequences for you for being late. I wanted to talk to you about your little sister Miss Grimm...I don't know if you are aware that she is outside at night and sitting around at the viaduct near the edge of the forbidden forest? If you do so i'm keeping an eye on her and cast protection spells on her since the creautures can lurk her into the forest...I hope you can talk to her about it, i tried but she just walked away from me..." Chase explained to him. He was really worried about miss Grimm although he never really talked to her.

"If you have a normal breathing again you can have something to drink and settle your telescope and begin with studying." Chase said to him grabbing his own mug and drank from it.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Morgan heard Professor Niberus ask her to bring her notes to show him her progress. As she was thumbing through her parchment to find them, she heard the exchange between the professor and Achilles. She had heard about his brother and had been meaning to give him her condolances for his loss. Perhaps she could do that as she went to show Professor Niberus her progress.

Morgan found her notes and made her way towards the professor. On her way, she paused briefly next to Achilles and whispered, "I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, Akkie. If you need someone to talk to, I'm always happy to listen." She gave him a gentle smile and walked to Professor Niberus. She held out her pages of parchment for him to look at with a small smile...

The Moons of Jupiter

4 largest of the 67 confirmed moons: Lo, Europa, Ganymede, Calisto
- Discovered by Italian astronomer, Galileo Galilei
- Hence why they are known as Galilean Moons
- Said to have also been seen by German astronomer around the same time, but his findings were not published

*Observation Note*
All four moons seem to have their own distinct surface type. Is it possible that no two are the same?

Lo
- High volcanic activity
- Surface appears to be covered by an assortment of different colored sulfurs
- Unable to see the presence of any form of water: solid, liquid, or gaseous

Europa
- Surface appears to be covered in ice
- Could make out what appeared to be either liquid or semi-solid water underneath the sheets of ice covering much of the moon’s surface

Ganymede
- Largest moon
- Surface appears two-toned
- Dark craters
- Light ridges
- Unable to see any water, but the ridges could have been made by water being released
from under the surface or, if there is tectonic movement on this moon, the ridges could have been formed that way

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Chase saw miss Prince walking up to him and excused him from mister Grimm to hear or see what miss Prince had made during the last two lessons and outside of the lessons. Miss Prince handed him her paper, he looked through them and nodded on how far she was. He handed her notes back and smiled.

"Very good miss Prince, i'm happy to see that you have made a lot of progress till now. If you continue like this the 25 points will be yours in a matter of time. You can go back to your telescope." Chase waved his wand and the paper with all the names on it came towards him with the quill, he scribbled something down next to miss Prince's name and then he quickly looked at Mister Grimm.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:36 pm

"Thank you, Professor," Morgan said brightly, taking her parchment back. She headed back to her station and settled herself for another night of observation. She planned on focusing on the last of Jupiter's largest moons tonight, Callisto. Morgan sat on her cushion and peered into her telescope...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kronos Grimm Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Achilles smiled. ''Yeah...ahh....Thanks...for..that...'' He said breathlessly. He composed himself and spoke again. ''Yeah she was upset. I will, If She blanks me..I will get Legion. She likes Legion.'' He heard Morgan. ''Thanks. I am sure I might take you up on that offer...''
Kronos Grimm
Kronos Grimm
Plot Advisor
Plot Advisor

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Valkyrie Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:05 am

Luna snapped out of her slight daze when Skyla touched her birthmark, she glared and then heard someone rush in. Achilles' voice breathlessly told the teacher why he was late and she turned to look at him. She smiles sadly at him with her hair covering half of her face to cover the fresh scar. She gets up and walks to her telescope. She makes notes and drawings of what she sees in her notebook which overflowed with parchment. She notices Skyla holding a leather jacket out to her and she gives a very very small smile. She takes it and puts it on, feeling heat on ten inside, she looks at Skyla who mouthed the words 'heating charm'. She nods her head, thanking her and gets back to work in the darkest part of the tower where the moonlight only highlighted her face which she was worried to show bruises so she covered more of her face with hair. She listens to Morgans notes and noticed hers were roughtly the same. She heard what she said to Achilles and smiles sadly, She wanted to talk to him but felt like she'd mess everything up...again. She just stares at the moon wishing it could reply to her thousands of questions. She notices a shooting star and closes her eyes, wishing on it. She then gets back to work.
Luna Valkyrie
Luna Valkyrie

Character sheet
Jobs:
Blood Status: Pureblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Elin Whiteraven Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 am

Elin went to a telescope and made herself comfortable beside it. Looking through it, she started observing Jupiter's moons closely, mentally picking out the 4 largest moons. She started scribbling detailed notes about them on a piece of parchment.
Elin Whiteraven
Elin Whiteraven

House : Gryffindor

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:16 am

Chase listened to mister Grimm and nodded. "I only wanted to make sure someone is aware of her nightly trips to the viaduct courtyard. If you will excuse me i still have a lot of people to check about there notes." Chase nodded again and looked around.

"Miss Valkyrie would you like to come here with your notes, to show me what you have?" Chase requested towards miss Valkyrie with a smile. He saw her looking at mister Grimm and he was their head of house and he wanted to make sure everything was alright with his students of his own house. So he would ask if everything was alright when she comes and let him check her notes.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:31 pm

Ginny arranges her telescope, pointing toward Jupiter's moons. She then started writing more notes on the moon, Io.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Valkyrie Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Luna's head shoots up and her eyes widen. She slowly thinks of what he says and she wants to fight the urge to say no but he was her teacher. She walks closer, hiding her limp. She hands him the parchment, full of drawings of the jupiters moons. "B-Basically I've drawn the moons...I have also noticed that the stars around them have moved slightly which has confused me but that could be because I checked last night in my room. However I shall keep checking. I have also made notes on how they were found. They should be on the second page...if not, sorry. I guess my mind is slightly...unfocused as it usually is." She pauses slightly on the last bit and looks around the room causing a slight bruise and cut to show on her cheek. She hides it quickly and looks back at the teacher. "Sorry if this is rude but is there anything else you wished to ask me?" She says with a small smile.
Luna Valkyrie
Luna Valkyrie

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Chase saw how miss Valkyrie's head shot up and knew almost instantly that there was something wrong but he just put that aside and waited for her to come up. Miss Valkyrie walked up to him and handed him the parchment with the drawings of Jupiter and the moons, he looked at it and listened to her story. He noticed she was struggling to get the words together and that worried him, Chase looked up at her and at the same time miss Valkyrie turned her head revealing a fresh scar and bruises on her face. Chase widened his eyes. "Yes miss Valkyrie, the drawings looks very good and creative but try to get more notes, maybe you could sit with Miss Prince and study together? I would like to talk in private after this class." Chase said to her and looked around the room before he turned back to miss Valkyrie. "You can return to your work, thank you." Chase smiled at her.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Valkyrie Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Luna sees his eyes widen and her heart drops. He saw them. She looked at the floor and then back at him. "Yes sir...I guess I draw because I'm more of a visual person but I will see if Morgan is available...Of course. I'll stay behind." She walks back, after taking her work and hides the limp again. She looks through the telescope and does more work, trying to forget the events.
Luna Valkyrie
Luna Valkyrie

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Chase nodded at Luna and then looked around the Astronomy tower. "Miss Rose, would you be so kind to come to me with your notes from the last two lessons and the things you did outside of class?" Chase asked politely. He turned to the board and waved with his wand and started to softly speaking to the white chalk, he went through his notes about this lessons and spoke again to his white chalk. He  looked behind him every now and then to look if miss Rose was already coming and if his students has questions so far.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Scarlett's head shot up when she heard Professor Nimberus call her to the front for a progress check. Scarlett finished peering through her telescope before gathering her notes to take to the front. She walked to Professor Nimberus and explained her notes. "Well, I did a lot of research on mostly Galileo Galilei because I found his discoveries rather interesting, before focusing my full attention back on the subject of Jupiter's moons. So I may be just a little bit behind on the outside research element compared to say Luna or Angel who has been focusing all their attention on to the one subject," she stated with her arms crossed behind her back. Scarlett wasn't really a big fan of progress presenting to the professor before her finishing item was ready, but she felt she did well for a good attempt.

Scarlett c. Rose
Second Year
Astronomy Notes

Astronomy- Lesson 1: Classes will be held at night and telescopes are mandatory. If you do not own a telescope, Professor Nimberus will loan you an old one, best recommended a new telescope. We will be learning about Jupiter and its moons--the largest ones. The four largest moons of Jupiter are called the Galilean moons, all discovered by Galileo Galilei in 1610. They are Lo, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. Jupiter has official 16 moons, but really there are over 60 moons of Jupiter. At the end of the year, we will be writing a 2.5 essay on Jupiter largest moons. You do not have to do every weeks’ homework, only show Professor Nimberus the notes and your research you took that week. At the end of the year, if you write the 2.5 essay, you will be rewarded 30 house points."

Astronomy- Lesson 2:  Galileo Galilei discovered the first objects found to orbit a body that was neither Earth nor the Sun. Dozens of smaller moons have been discovered, receiving the names of lovers, conquests, or daughters of the Roman god, Jupiter or his Greek ancestor, Zeus. The Galilean moons are the largest and most massive objects in orbit around Jupiter with the remaining 63 moons.

Astronomy term 2 lesson 3. - Page 2 Galileo-moon-phases

Astronomy- Lesson 3:  

Europa
- Galileo Galilei discovered Europa on January 8, 1610,
and possibly Simon Marius.

- Scientists believe Europa is made of silicate rock,
and has an iron core and rocky mantle, much like the Earth does.

- Europa’s interior appears to be surrounded by a layer of ice.

- The moon is named after a Phoenician in Greek mythology,
Europa, who was courted by Zeus and became the queen of Crete.

- The surface of Europa is covered with cracks. Many believe these
cracks are the result of tidal forces on the ocean beneath the surface.
It's possible that, when Europa's orbit takes it close to Jupiter, the tide
of the sea beneath the ice rises higher than normal. If this is so, the
constant raising and lowering of the sea caused many of the cracks
observed on the surface of the moon.

- The ocean beneath the surface sometimes erupts through the
surface (much like lava erupts from a volcano) and then freezes.
Icebergs observed on the surface of the moon may support this
theory.

- Europa is the sixth closest moon of the planet Jupiter, and the
smallest of its four Galilean satellites.

Io
- Galileo Galilei discovered Io on January 8, 1610, and possibly
Simon Marius.

- It was named after the mythological character of Io, a priestess
of Hera who became one of the lovers of Zeus.

- Over 400 active volcanoes

- Io's surface is dotted with more than 100 mountains.

- Its volcanic plumes and lava flows produce large surface
changes and paints the surface in various shades of yellow,
red, white, black, and green.

Ganymede
- Ganymede's discovery is credited to Galileo Galilei, who was the first to observe it on January 7, 1610.

- It was named for the mythological Ganymede, cupbearer of the Greek gods and Zeus's lover.

- Composed of mostly silicate rock and water ice

- Its body is fully differentiated with an iron-rich, liquid core

- A saltwater ocean is believed to exist nearly 200 km below Ganymede's surface, sandwiched between layers of ice.

- Appears to be two-toned, the darker region is impact craters that could be dated back to four billion years ago and on the lighter region, grooves and ridges.

Callisto
- It is the second-largest satellite in the Jovian system, after Ganymede

- It is the fourth Galilean moon of Jupiter by distance

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Niberus Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Chase turned around to see miss Rose standing in front of him with her notes, Chase smiled at her. Miss Rose told him about something she figured out and he listened carefully. He nodded at her and then looked at her notes. The notes looked good and Chase could see she spend a lot of time on the notes. Chase handed the notes back to miss Rose. "You have already the biggest part of the essay you need to hand in, i almost have to tell you to slow down because you are going too fast." Chase said jokingly. "That is of course ridiculous, keep up the good work miss Rose. You can go back to work now, thank you." Chase said to her and went back to his notes.
Chase Niberus
Chase Niberus

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Scarlett smiled before taking her notes back to her work space to peer at Jupiter's moons some more. She angled her telescope to face Callisto the moon she had the least information on and started to study its features and appearance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2