Ties that Bind is moving http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php
TIES THAT BIND HAS MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE.
http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TIES THAT BIND HAS MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE.
http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
We Have Moved
Ties that Bind has moved to a new home. Please follow this link: Ties That Bind
Twitter

DADA Class Lesson One (All Years) (H)

5 posters

Go down

DADA Class Lesson One  (All Years) (H)  Empty DADA Class Lesson One (All Years) (H)

Post by Dellen Lestrange Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:26 pm

As you walk into the classroom you simply find curling script waiting to be read on the chalk board.

"Please have a seat and write a three paragraph essay on all you claim to know about Defense Against the Dark Arts. Due by the end of class"

Hand in your papers here, feel free to use the classroom. Due at the end of the week.
Dellen Lestrange
Dellen Lestrange
Founder/Head Admin
Founder/Head Admin

House : Slytherin

Character sheet
Jobs: Deputy Head Mistress of Hogwarts
Blood Status: Pureblood

Back to top Go down

DADA Class Lesson One  (All Years) (H)  Empty Re: DADA Class Lesson One (All Years) (H)

Post by Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:34 am

Sirius squeezed between all the students in front of him, not nearly in the best mood. One of those days that if someone pissed him off, the result wouldn't be nice for that person. It wouldn't be nice at all.

As he took a seat, and heard Dellen, he sighed.

"What I claim I know, is more than what I can write in a piece of parchment. So let me try to be honest. I'll at least explain what I've learned from you and Professor Carrow. I've gained quite the reputation as a prankster, why? Because I know every kind of Hex and Jinx there is. Of course I've learned how to use the Hex-Breaker, and have learned an enormous amount of quantity of Counter Jinxes and Anti Jinxes.

I may not study too much, but I know a jinx when I see one. When casting such thing wandlessly, the caster has to maintain eye contact with the target. And while using a wand, most wizards, even those younger than me, can recognize a jinx being used that way. I happen to know hexes aren't as dark as curses, and cause moderate damage to whomever is hit by them. Even though Hexes are only mentioned by my dear professor, I did my research on how to use all of them.

I've learnt many curses over the years, and have a clear interest in the forbidden ones. Why? They're against the rules. I know how to cure werewolf bites, how to defend myself from dementors, and how to try to resist the Imperius curse. I know everything a seventh year basically knows. That's about it, if I missed something you expected, please do teach it to me this year...
"

Sirius finished, putting his quill away. The last phrase was written with an enormous amount of sarcasm, but it wasn't actually to mock Lestrange. She was Sirius's professor after all.

Sirius got up, leaving the parchment on Lestrange's desk. "Have fun reading grandma..." He said, and smiled as he sat back down.

Soon enough after Sirius sitting down, Kronos walked into the classroom. Sirius had seen him come to the class almost as soon as the marauders did. He wasn't sorry for what he had done to the boy, but he was sorry their friendship had suffered such strain. Kronos shot him a quick glare before sitting down and taking his quill out. He seemed to sigh, probably out of annoyance for the task at hand.

(I was asked to write the arrival of Kronos by his player, Rhys, who at the moment he wanted to enter, could not post in the classroom)

Back to top Go down

DADA Class Lesson One  (All Years) (H)  Empty Re: DADA Class Lesson One (All Years) (H)

Post by Jocelyn Immorta Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:42 am

Jocelyn walked in and saw the glare between Jackass Black and her brother, she frowned. Did something happen between them? Jocelyn thought about what Dragon said about the whole situation. She shook the thoughts away and sat down next to her brother and gave him a quick glance, she hadn't really talked to him and seemed quieter than when Legion was here. Jocelyn missed home, she wrote a letter to Dragon because he seemed to understand her more. "I...I'm h....home sick...Kronos..." Jocelyn whispered to him sadly. Jocelyn grabbed her stuff and started to write the three paragraph for her head of house. She didn't really think Kronos could do about it but him telling about it made the knot in her stomach fade a little.
Jocelyn Immorta
Jocelyn Immorta

Character sheet
Jobs: stay at home mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Selena Snape Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Selena looked around when she entered the classroom and went to sit down quietly in the last row of the room, a soft smile playing around her lips. She was actually looking forward to the new term and could hardly wait to begin with the new lessons.
Still, an essay on her first lesson was making her sigh, slightly put off as she pulled out her material with a slight frown. What I think I claim to know about Defense Against the Dark Arts, she thought wearily and rubbed the bridge of her nose.

I claim to know only the basics of defense against the dark arts, as we have been taught in the past few years here at Hogwarts. I don't have the advantage of a family or anyone else to teach me more advanced spells or the defense against them, so I must do with what my professors teach me in the few lessons we have. So I know how do use protego to defend myself, I know several offensive spells to attack an opponent and studied some warding charms in case I need to set up a protected area.

Although I have on occation ventured into the library to read up on certain spells or protective charms, I do not feel confident of taking on a more experienced wizard or witch in a duel, though I should surely give my best in case such a situation would arise. I think that I know enough defensive  spells to protect myself against the usual spells and jinxes. I also would be able to conjure a patronus in the unlikely event of encountering a dementor and I'm able to disarm and bind an opponent.

Nevertheless, I know almost nothing about the dark art and curses, only that to curse another, the caster has to keep eye-contact with the victim and focus his powers in the spell. It takes a lot of concentration and if it can be broken, then the curse might fail. That is something, I would like to learn in the next years of my education, though.

Leaning back in her chair, Selena thoughtfully gazed at the parchment in front of her, a little put off by how little she actually knew about defending herself. I definitely have to ask Severus to teach me some of his curses, she thought with a sigh and got up to place the paper on her teacher's desk. With a polite nod at her professor, she went back to her place and sat down.
Selena Snape
Selena Snape

House : Gryffindor

Character sheet
Jobs: Healer in the Department for Spell Damage
Blood Status: Halfblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Avalon walked into the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and took a seat by herself. She looked up at the board and read that she was to write a three paragraph essay on what she knew about the subject. She sighed as she took her parchment and pen out of her bag. This ought to be a great year, she thought sarcastically. She looked down at her paper for a few moments, then started writing:

My knowledge of Defense Against the Dark Arts isn't vast, but that is why I'm here. I grew up in a magic family, so I've picked up a few spells here and there, but I haven't learned in a formal setting at all. I have a basic knowledge of how to defend myself in a dangerous situation and I could probably make it out of a duel with a fellow first year alive.

Growing up in a magic family, I have learned a lot from my parents about magic over the years. I know a few basic spells and how they are used, and I have tried to cast them a few times. I have not had a ton of success with that, but I am willing to learn. I haven't spent much of my time going out of my way to get ahead, which is why I have a very limited knowledge of Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Overall, I admit to knowing very little about the subject of defense. At the same time, I believe that I do know more than some of my other classmates, so I am not at all worried about being behind. I suspect that Defense Against the Dark Arts will be one of my better subjects, and I am very excited to finally be studying here at Hogwarts. In the end, I know I have a limited knowledge of the subject, but I also know that I am not expected to know everything before I start learning.

She finished her last thought and sat back. She hoped that her essay would suffice, as she was a first year. She knew that there would by students writing pages and pages about their knowledge, but how could she write about what she knows when she barely knew anything? She gathered her things and picked the paper up off of her desk. She walked to the front of the class and handed in her paper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Valkyrie Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Luna walks into the class and sighs. An essay!? Brilliant...She walks over to the very back of the class in the darkest part. She rubs her temples as a headache arose. She grabs her parchment and crow quill and begins to write.

I know little about...defense against the dark arts despite the year i am in however i do have a trip to the library or two. I spend many hours researching with different book varying from The standard book of spells, defensive magical theory to all the books of how to fight and defend myself against magical creatures. My father in-bedded my mind with hexes and jinxes to help me defend myself against any one. Hexes are not as dangerous as Curses but can cause damage with eye contact and concentration is kept.

I know the basic things i learned in my previous years but I rarely use these skills as i base myself more around hand to hand combat than anything else. I'm willing to learn more as i believe Defense against the dark arts is one of the most important lessons out there. I believe i am capable of fighting in a duel using spells we have been taught.

I know some protection spells like Protego and i know how to cast the patronus charm with ease. In conclusion, i know the basics and maybe a little more. I would love to learn more to protect myself and others in the future as hand to hand combat isn't the best route to go, i know. I am not ahead of the class or behind either but if needed to speed up my progress, i would be willing to train whenever i have the free time to improve.

Luna wrote her essay, her headache strong. She stands up and walks to the front of the class, her skirt slightly higher than everyone's else's as it reached up to midthigh. She places it on the professor's desk. ''Hope it's enough, Professor.'' She says kindly and sorted out her skirt. She saunters back to her chair smiling at Kronos as she does so. She winks at him as well and sits down on her chair, crossing one ivory leg over the other. She taps her military boots against the floor softly and sketches a person casting protego, liking the darkness consume her as she sat at the back.
Luna Valkyrie
Luna Valkyrie

House : Hufflepuff

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vixen Lestrange Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Vixen entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and takes seat, slipping her pack off her should and onto the floor. She read that right off they had an essay about their knowledge of Defense Against the Dark Arts. A coy smile spread across her face and she took out a piece of parchment, her raven quill, and an inkwell. Crossing her legs, she began...

As one who has lived in many places what with my family moving around, I've picked up a fair number of spells, both light and dark. Some countries focused greatly on the darker side of things, which helped me learn to recognize several hexes and jinxes when they were performed in one way or another. Being from a Pureblood family has allow aided in my learning some basic and more advanced forms of defensive spells, including different counter-hexes, jinxes, and curses.

During the time I was in a school and was able to attend Defense Against the Dark Arts, I learned the basics when it comes to defensive spells. While the majority of my training has been done outside the classroom, by my mother and father in our home since they kept my schooling going while we moved around. I am able to cast Protego around me and others as well as a full-bodied Patronus. I also am able to cast several counter spells depending on the curse, hex, or jinx used. I hope to get more formal training in this area of my magical education now that I am back in a formal setting.

From both reading up on different defensive magics and learning from the areas I lived, wherever it might be, I know that the caster of a curse must keep eye contact to cast an effective spell. The same holds true for one casting the counter-curse. If eye contact it broken, then the spell can either fail or not be as effective as when keeping eye contact and focus are maintained. While hexes are not as harmful to the target as curses are, they can still cause a fair amount of damage. I look forward to learning more in this area of magic and adding new spells to what I have already learned.

Vixen set her quill down and cracked her knuckles as she read and re-read her essay. It wasn't her best work, but it would have to do. She got up and walked to Professor Lestrange's desk and slipped her parchment onto the growing pile of papers. "There you go, Professor. Hope it meets your standards," she said with a smile before heading back to her desk. Vixen sat, crossed her legs, and leaned back in her chair, hands linked behind her head.
Vixen Lestrange
Vixen Lestrange

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Caradoc glared at the board. He hated these types of assignments. He couldn't summarize everything he knew in three paragraphs, and surely she knew that. Instead of teaching us something useful, here we are, wasting an entire period. He wasn't happy with it but didn't want to fail the assignment.

Everything I Know by Caradoc Dearborn. He wrote on the top of the parchment.

I won't pretend to list everything I've learned as I would run out of parchment and time. What I will say is that there are dark times ahead of us and one can't ever be too safe. Many know that there is no counter curse for the killing curse but I know that a simple ‘Silencio’ Charm might save your life. The Killing curse is one of the few spells that cannot be cast without pronouncing the incantation. I also know that the good old ‘Accio’ can go a long way. Just summon something to stand between you and whatever curse your opponent throws and you’ll have time to escape or stun your opponent.

My second tip is to always carry a command activated portkey with you. You never know when anti-apparition wards will be cast. It will ensure you can get away for any reason should the need arise. Learn proper shield charms and most importantly learn wandless magic, it makes it harder for your opponent to defend themselves and predict your moves. Also, a disillusionment charm can be quite useful especially if you know how to set traps for your attackers.

Lastly, the patronus charm. It can protect you from dementors but it’s not all it does. This charm can also be used to communicate messages and in desperate times can be used to blind your opponent for small amounts of time. Enough time for you to apparate or portkey to safety. But the most important thing to know is to improvise. Most of the spells I used are easy and highly underestimated. Catch your opponents by surprise and the battle is half won.

Caradoc read the essay over before deciding to turn the assignment in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyn Immorta Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 am

Jocelyn looked around thinking about what she knew about the defence against the dark arts. She sighed and started to write.

I know all the basics for defending myself against the Dark Arts but knowing the basics is not enough to defend yourself aginst the Dark Arts. So i know some of the basics of the the Dark Arts as well. I learned the basics from both before i came to this school by my parents.

I know how to defend myself with the Disarming charm, i know how to cure werewolf bites. I know how to protect myself with my own patronus and how to produce him, that is a Falcon. I have learned more advanced Defence Against the Dark Arts by a family member at our house. I managed to use the fire making spell and therefore i'm not afraid fire anymore.

The basics of the Dark Arts spells that i learned is the cruciatus curse, as i had already a great knowledge about this particular cruel spell and it is one of the unforgiveables curses, i learned about it but i'm not permitted to use it only when i'm in a highly dangerous position and can't find another option to get myself out of it alive. I would love to learn more about the defending myself against Vampires and want to learn more about the stunning spell as i feel that i'm not really know much about that spell.

Jocelyn reread her essay before she stands up and walks to the front, to the desk of her head of house and lied her essay on her desk. "Here you go professor Lestrange." Jocelyn said with a smirk and walked back to her seat and sat down next to her brother.
Jocelyn Immorta
Jocelyn Immorta

Character sheet
Jobs: stay at home mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down